Valid from: December 18. 2002
- Lock the telescope by pushing the red emergency button in dome
and place the Don't move the telescope sign on the TCS
- Check the CCD window and blow off any dust/spiders/bugs with
clean air. Note that the only way to remove "a bug with wings"
or a spider during an observing run is to lower the instrument
and remove the offending bug. (Don't shake the air bottles and
don't hold them upside down.)
- If FASU is not mounted see
Mounting the FASU
and the ALFOSC.
- Roll MOSCA under FASU and align the yellow mounting mark.
- Before raising MOSCA off the trolley wheels use some long bolts
(e.g. counterweight bolts), 3 or 4, to assist in aligning MOSCA
with FASU, while you can still maneuver the trolley on its
- Once aligned, raise MOSCA and put in the correctly specified
bolts, red, NO washer (don't screw into the places marked for
the counterweight), and obviously replace the long bolts used
for alignment with the correct ones.
- Mount the MOSCA counterweight holder at the position marked by
black lines. Bolts: White without washers. White with red
stripe in middle position.
- Put MOSCA counterweights on the holder (22.5 kg) and secure
them using the big wrench. Remember to put on protective cover
on the holder.
- Plug in the power cables for FASU and MOSCA. You will have to
find one loose 220V power cable in the cabinet.
- The shutter cable: connect it from FASU controller to MOSCA
controller (label shutter)
- Optical fiber: Connect it from MOSCA controller to the fiber
link box (see the labels)
- The cable from the FASU MOXA black box to the FASU motor controller:
Make sure it is connected to the FASU motor controller.
- The network cable: Connect FASU unit to the network switch on the
rotator (if not connected already).
- Turn FASU and MOSCA power on
- IMPORTANT!!!! check that the FASU HANDSET is switched
on the Remote position
Balance the telescope and set the default focus
- Make sure that the
Thermal Monitoring System - Alert Control
- Test that instrument
behaves as expected, i.e.
the bias levels are as expected
Test the instrument
preferably in the early afternoon
in case there are problems to be fixed.
Re-check the bias levels during the night or next morning.
- Run the
quality test .
Updated by Tapio Pursimo.