NOTCam Status Report, Aug 1997
- Due to illness of crucial ROE staff, the final Critical Design Review of
NOTCam will now take place at ROE in mid-August (instead of mid-June).
Hugo Schwarz and Colin Aspin of NOT will be accompanied by Goeran
Olofsson of Stockholm Observatory (as external assessor of the design)
for the two day meeting. The final design drawings of the optical
components and opto-mechanical concept layout will be available soon
after this meeting.
- The contract with IJAF/CUO is in the final stages of detailing and we
hope that it will be completed and signed by mid-August. The contract
will include production of the array controller electronics and the motor
- Contract negotiations are progressing with the Norwegian company
Prototech AS to perform the mechanical detailing and mechanical
construction of NOTCam. A useful first quotation for the work was received
in June and we are awaiting both the final design drawings and further
communication from Prototech AS before this can proceed.
- The company Graseby Specac in England have been tendered for the
production of the optical components for NOTCam (the collimator assembly,
the low-res lense unit, the high-res lens unit ands the pupil imaging lens
unit). Discussions are currently taking place on the design details and a
quotation from Specac is expected within the next few weeks.
- The U.S. company Kelvin International have been tendered for the purchase
of a pulse-tube refrigerator unit (PTR) for on-line operational cooling
of NOTCam. The company is currently making final plans for the loan of a
unit for lab testing in Copenhagen (in Sept-Oct) before final purchase of
the unit is made.
- The broad-band filter for NOTCam have been ordered from OCLI via the
International IR filter consortium. The filters ordered are 25mm in
diameter and cover the J, H and K passbands. These filters have been
especially designed by NOAO/University of Hawaii staff to optimize
sensitivity and throughput ands minimize atmospheric absorption band
- The engineering grade array for NOTCam (obtained as part of the contract
with Rockwell International Science Center) has been shipped and is due
to arrive in La Palma within the first two weeks of August. On arrival
here it will be shipped to Copenhagen for eventual testing in their
test dewar with the array controller electronics.
- Discussions on i) a general calibration unit for NOT (incl. calibration
lamps./sources for NOTCam), ii) an f/11 simulator (for lab testing of
NOTCam at the SLO), iii) a Integration and Test Facility for
instrumentation at the SLO (where NOTCam will be assembled and tested)
and iv) a handling rig for NOTCam when it is not on the telescope, are
also under way. Several of these items involve collaborative projects
with the U.K. ING Group also located in the SLO.