NOTCam step-by-step observing guide for how to proceed with NOTCam observing.
- On the terminal lisa login to marissa with username
obs. Password from staff.
- Open up two xterms. In one of them startup the NOTCam data
acquisition system by typing startobssys notcam. The other
xterm should be used if/when you want to shut down the system with
the command shutdownobssys notcam.
- A window pops up asking for the TCS access code. Find the code on
the TCS by typing sh 1 for show page 1, and the access code number
is shown on the top of the page. Type it in. If you type the wrong
code a red error message appears and you must try again. All the NOTCam
software (BIAS, the UIF, and the postprocessing control) will now start up.
- BIAS comes up with three windows as usual, one DS9 display, one status
window, and one command window which now is used only to output messages.
Note! You can not give any commands in the BIAS command window when running
- The UIF comes up with two windows. One status view and one for manually
selecting wheel entries by clicking on menus and items. If the UIF wheel status
is "Not initialized", then you have to click on the Initialize menu on
the UIF menu selection window, and thereafter click on Init all movements
or you may want to initialize one wheel at a time.
- Open another xterm, go to the data directory /data/notcam
and type e.g. obslog-notcam NCpb07\* & to start the electronic observing log.
The prefix "NCpb07" is an example for NOTCam (NC) data on the 07.02.2006. Use the
prefix for the current day.
- Commands are given in the Sequencer Terminal. The
default startup directory is /home/softremote/obs/ and
you should type cd scripts where you should find your own directory coded
by proposal number. Go there, for instance cd 37-057, and find your previously
made and stored scripts. You can also copy the available NOTCam scripts
(cp ../notcam-seq/* .) to your own directory where you may edit them to your
- Another window, called the Talker, shows you a running
log of what is happening, possible warnings and errors. Check in the Talker that the
program has started up without problems and is ready for commands.
Old procedure (before 2008)
- Login to marissa through the lisa terminal. User: obs
- Change directory to cd notcam and start BIAS by the command
Start the UIF by giving the command notcam-interface. Note
that you have to put in valid elements in the optical path before
you can save test image files, otherwise the fits header keywords will
not be valid.
- If you need to run the instrument from a lower level, exit the UIF and
type telnet 126.96.36.199 4001. Follow the instructions in
the binder called NOTCam electronics (usually in the Service
Building staff office shelf) for how to proceed.
- Start the NOTcam postprocessing interface, using the command
- If you want another filename than the default corresponding to current
date set e.g. filename test0001 in BIAS. Files will be
/data/notcam/ which is physically on the
RAID disc. The data is normally copied to DVD+R's. The Florence
disc remote mount point is