FIES for ALFOSC user
This page is aimed for ALFOSC users who need to use FIES for override
programmes. The idea is just to show the core commands and the
details can be found from the
the FIES+STANCAM software. The FIES+STANCAM Sequencer
is usually started in a different work space on lisa than the ALFOSC one.
- Run the
fies-calibs script in a sequencer window for the requested fibre,
- For example for the medium resolution fibre (a.k.a. fib 3)
fies.fies-calibs -fib 3
- The script can be run in the afternoon and takes about
45 minutes to complete.
Before starting FIES observations,
When all FIES observations are done
- write down the telescope focus for ALFOSC,
assuming you have focused the telescope earlier using ALFOSC.
- Setup the telescope for FIES with
(this will set the correct focus, camera-probe etc for fies)
- navigate to the correct directory (StanCam sequencer window), e.g.
- Run the fies-script (provided by the override PI) from the
StanCam sequencer window. Follow the instructions given by the script.
Make sure that the camera-probe is in the "park-position" and
that the telescope focus has correct value (close to
- Setup the telescope to ALFOSC, type on a
(this will set the default telescope focus, park the camera-probe,
field rotation etc for ALFOSC )
- Change the telescope focus, if needed
tcs.focus-position "the number you wrote down earlier"
or focus the telescope with